Discovery Land Camp Richmond Hill: Connect with nature!
Surrounded by Oak Ridges Corridor Conservation Reserve, our summer camp offers a unique and exciting mix of programs that are sure to appeal to campers of all ages and interests.
- Discovery Land Camp Richmond Hill campus is situated in the Oak Ridges Lake Wilcox neighbourhood of Richmond Hill, serving families in York Region and Toronto. Operating on the facilities of Bond Lake Public School, it’s near local parks, sports fields, lakes and green shady areas.
- The drop off and pick up location is at the entrance of Bond Lake Public School at 245 Old Colony Rd, Richmond Hill, ON L4E 5B9.
- Every Friday, we have an outdoor day at Lake Wilcox Park, which includes access to a splash pad, waterfront boardwalk, and a spacious playground. Drop-off and pick-up for this day will be directly at the park. All details will be provided in the camp preparation emails.
Green Camp experience that has it all
- Fun and engaging learning We believe that learning should be fun and engaging, which is why we offer a variety of activities that are designed to promote curiosity, creativity, and critical thinking. Inventor Club, Young Entrepreneur Club, and Brain Booster activities (riddles, brain puzzles, coding with Lego, hands-on experiments, and engineering projects) help campers develop their problem-solving skills and learn new things in a fun and exciting way. STEM activities are incorporated into all camp weeks, and our young explorers make their discoveries even without noticing that they are learning!
- Get Active Program In addition to themed activities, campers will have the opportunity to engage in traditional sports like tennis, soccer, yoga, gymnastics, basketball, ping pong, and badminton, as well as more unconventional sports like ladder ball, or ultimate frisbee.
- Creativity Spark For the budding artists, we have a range of creative activities such as painting, drawing, unique themed crafts, improvisational drama, and costumed carnivals. Campers explore their artistic talents and create masterpieces inspired by the natural beauty of the forest.
- Adventurous spirit For the adventurous spirits, we offer a range of exciting programs such as treasure hunts, obstacle courses, and wilderness survival skills.
Spending time in nature. Our camp is nestled in a beautiful forest setting that lets us enjoy, explore, and connect with the great outdoors daily.
- Weekly field trips to Lake Wilcox Park Lake Wilcox Park features a splash pad, a waterfront boardwalk, and a spacious playground. The Skate Park area includes a spider net, beach volleyball courts, and a multi-sports court.
- Weekly field trips to various attractions Ontario Science Centre, LEGOLAND Discovery Centre, Toronto Zoo, Indoor Playground, Black Creek Pioneer Village, Ripley’s Aquarium, and Oak Ridges Pool! Oak Ridges Pool offers a leisure pool, including a waterslide and beach-entry shallow pool.
schedule by weeks – Richmond Hill Campus
A field trip adventure week includes excursions every day for five days of exciting socialization and educational experiences.
- The drop-off and pick-up place is the splash pad area at Lake Wilcox Park, at 55 Olde Bayview Ave, Richmond Hill, ON L4E 3C8.
- The drop-off time is 9 a.m. and the pick-up time is 4 p.m. unless the extended care option is selected.
- Parents will get a detailed message with a packing list, a detailed schedule, etc. prior to the start of the week.
- The transportation is scheduled to be by a school bus, by a reputable transportation provider, First Student. The transportation cost, all admission fees, and Wednesday pizza lunch are included in the camp fee.
We are planning to spend most of the day at the field trip location this week, having our program and lunch there.
- August 19: Black Creek Pioneer Village offers an immersive and educational experience, perfect for youngsters. Explore a historically accurate settler town from 1860s Ontario and dive deep into history!
- August 20: Legoland Discovery Centre. Enjoy a 4D cinema Lego movie premiere, 10 LEGO build and play zones, 2 LEGO-themed rides, and a soft play area
- August 21: Lake Wilcox Skatepark: Engage in a variety of sports including soccer, beach volleyball, dodgeball, badminton, basketball, spider net, and other active games, followed by a pizza and popcorn party!
- August 22: Ontario Science Centre. Spark your curiosity and explore the wonders of science and innovation through hands-on exhibits, live science shows, demonstrations, and a rainforest. We’re excited about the upcoming special exhibitions, ‘Dinos in Motion’ and ‘Our Climate Quest’!
- August 23: Swimming at Oak Ridges Pool. Explore Lake Wilcox Park with its splash pad, large playground and nature trails. Oak Ridges’ regular pool features a waterslide, while a warm beach-entry leisure pool offers bubbling hydro jets.
How to get to us
The drop off and pick up location is at the entrance of Bond Lake Public School at 245 Old Colony Rd, Richmond Hill, ON L4E 5B9.
A successful field trip provides a fun and engaging experience for campers while prioritizing their safety and well-being. Here’s a list of safety measures that we take on field trip days:
- We hire a professional bus company and drivers.
- Campers wear camp t-shirts with our camp’s name and phone number.
- We have staff strategically placed at bus drop-offs, attraction sites’ entrances, and other locations.
- We have campers stay together in groups the whole time of the tour.
- We work closely with the attraction sites, and they support us greatly during our group visits.
- We are always counting campers! Our staff is specifically trained on trip safety procedures.
Trip to the swimming pool
Our staff members will ensure that campers ages 6–7 and those who don’t feel confident in the water will wear a life jacket and stay in the shallow area of the pool at all times. 7 year old campers can take off their life jackets once they can show that they feel confident in the water. For campers ages 8+ and those who take the deep pool test, life jackets are not required. If they want to go to the deep end, the swimming test will be done by a qualified lifeguard.
We take the safety of all our campers very seriously, and our counsellors as well as lifeguards from the Oak Ridges Pool will be on duty to closely monitor all pool activities.
Note: Children must be at least 6 years old to participate in the swimming sessions. Campers who are 5 years old or those who choose not to swim will enjoy the Lake Wilcox splash pad and playground during the swimming session.
Discovery Land Camp Richmond Hill, area served: Richmond Hill, Aurora, King City, Maple, Markham, King, Vaughan, York Region